State law requires districts to adopt comprehensive anti-bullying policies addressing all U.S. Department of Education-recommended policy requirements.
Anti-Bullying Policies – A Review of SB 1555
This document reviews the requirements of SB1555
Bullying Guidance: September 2017
This document outlines the bullying guidance schools must follow to comply with Oregon law
Oregon Administrative Rules 581-022-2310 Equal Education Opportunities
(2) Each district school board shall adopt a policy in accordance with ORS 339.356 prohibiting harassment, intimidation or bullying and prohibiting cyberbullying. School districts are encouraged to develop the policy after consultation with parents and guardians, school employees, volunteers, students, administrators and community representatives.
Oregon Revised Statutes 339.341 Statewide School Safety and Prevention System; rules
(3) The system required under this section shall consist of the following:
- (a) Assistance to school districts and education service districts in decreasing acts of harassment, intimidation or bullying and acts of cyberbullying through the implementation of effective prevention programs that:
- (A) Incorporate evidenced-based, multitiered practices; and
- (B) Support resiliency building and trauma-informed care practices.
Oregon Revised Statutes 339.353 Findings
(1) The Legislative Assembly finds that:
- (a) A safe and civil environment is necessary for students to learn and achieve high academic Standard.
- (b) Harassment, intimidation or bullying and cyberbullying, like other disruptive or violent behavior, are conduct that disrupts a student’s ability to learn and a school’s ability to educate its students in a safe environment.
- (c) Students learn by example.
(2) The Legislative Assembly commends school administrators, faculty, staff and volunteers for demonstrating appropriate behavior, treating others with civility and respect, refusing to tolerate harassment, intimidation or bullying and refusing to tolerate cyberbullying.
Oregon Revised Statutes 339.356 District policy required
(1) Each school district shall adopt a policy prohibiting harassment, intimidation or bullying and prohibiting cyberbullying. School districts shall develop the policy after consultation with parents, guardians, school employees, volunteers, students, administrators and community representatives.