State law defines prohibited behavior and may require districts to include bullying definitions in district anti-bullying policies.
Delaware Administrative Code 14-624 School District/Charter School Policy Prohibiting Cyberbullying
2.0 Definition of Cyberbullying
- 2.1 Cyberbullying means the use of uninvited and unwelcome electronic communication directed at an identifiable student or group of students, through means other than face-to-face interaction, which (1) interferes with a student's physical well-being; or (2) is threatening or intimidating; or (3) is so severe, persistent, or pervasive that it is reasonably likely to limit a student's ability to participate in or benefit from the educational programs of the school district or charter school. Communication shall be considered to be directed at an identifiable student or group of students if it is sent directly to that student or group or posted in a medium that the speaker knows is likely to be available to a broad audience within the school community.
Delaware Code 14-4161 Definitions.
For purposes of this subchapter:
- (1) Bullying means any intentional written, electronic, verbal, or physical act against another student, a school district or charter school volunteer, or a school district or charter school employee that a reasonable person under the circumstances should know will have any of the following effects:
- a. Place a student, school district or charter school volunteer, or school district or charter school employee in reasonable fear of substantial harm to the student's, volunteer's, or employee's emotional or physical well-being or substantial damages to the student's, volunteer's, or employee's property.
- b. Create a hostile, threatening, humiliating, or abusive educational environment due to the pervasiveness or persistence of actions or due to a power differential between the bully and the target.
- c. Interfere with a student having a safe school environment that is necessary to facilitate educational performance, opportunities, or benefits.
- d. Perpetuate bullying by inciting, soliciting, or coercing an individual or group to demean, dehumanize, embarrass, or cause emotional, psychological, or physical harm to another student, school district or charter school volunteer, or school district or charter school employee.
Delaware Code 14-4164 School bullying awareness and prevention; criminal youth gang detection.
(2) Each school district and charter school shall establish a policy which, at a minimum, includes the following components: b. A definition of bullying no less inclusive than that in § 4161 of this title.