State law requires districts to adopt dating violence policies.
4 Alaska Administrative Code 12.397. Mandatory training requirements
(a) On or after June 30, 2017, to qualify for a certificate issued under 14.20.020 or to renew or reinstate a certificate, an applicant must provide evidence of training regarding
- (1) alcohol- and drug-related disabilities and satisfying the requirements of AS 14.20.680;
- (2) sexual abuse and sexual assault awareness and prevention and satisfying the requirements of AS 14.30.355, as that section is to appear on June 30, 2017;
- (3) dating violence awareness and prevention and satisfying the requirements of AS 14.30.356, as that section is to appear on June 30, 2017; and
- (4) youth suicide awareness and prevention and satisfying the requirements of AS 14.30.362, as that section is to appear on July 1, 2016.
Alaska Statutes 14.30.356 Dating violence and abuse policy training awareness preventio and notices.
(a) The department, in consultation with school districts, shall develop and approve a program relating to teen dating violence and abuse awareness and prevention for grades seven through 12. The program must
- (1) include training for employees and students;
- (2) provide parent notices; and
- (3) be reviewed periodically by a qualified individual or committee for consistency with generally accepted Standard for a teen dating violence and abuse awareness and prevention program.
(b) The training, notices, and instruction adopted under this section must include
- (1) age-appropriate information;
- (2) the warning signs of dating violence and abusive behavior;
- (3) characteristics of healthy relationships;
- (4) measures to prevent and stop dating violence and abuse;
- (5) community resources available to victims of dating violence and abuse; and
- (6) a procedure allowing a student to be excused from participating in training or from receiving notices under this section at the written request of a parent or guardian of the student, or of the student if the student is emancipated or 18 years of age or older.
(c) The training required for teachers under this section may be provided as a part of the continuing education required under AS 18.66.310.
(d) In this section,
- (1) “dating violence and abuse” means a pattern of behavior in which one person threatens to use, or actually uses, physical, sexual, verbal, emotional, or psychological abuse to control the person’s dating partner;
- (2) “school district” has the meaning given in AS 14.30.350.