State law addresses suicide prevention.
Health Education Standard Grades 5-8
Suicide prevention is taught as part of health education.
New Mexico Administrative Code 126.96.36.199 Content Standard with Benchmarks and Performance Standard for Health Education Grades 5-8
B. Content standard 2: Students will demonstrate the ability to access valid health information and health-promoting products and services. Students will:
- (6) grades 5-8 benchmark 6: describe situations requiring professional health services;
- (b) grades 7-8 performance Standard:
- (i) analyze risk behaviors in situations that may lead to negative physical, social or emotional health consequences (i.e., abuse, bullying, sexual assault, mental health, depression, suicide, domestic violence, STI/HIV and other risky behavior, etc.);
- (ii) role play and discuss situations related to a health crisis and formulate solutions to intervene or prevent the crisis (i.e., a friend tells you he is thinking about suicide; a friend tells you she may be pregnant, etc.);
- (iii) recognize and identify professional health services in the community.