State law addresses tobacco use.
Texas Administrative Code. 115.22. Health Education Grade 6.
(b) Knowledge and skills.
- (7) Health behaviors. The student engages in behaviors that reduce health risks throughout the life span. The student is expected to:
- (A) demonstrate an understanding of basic first-aid procedures;
- (B) describe chemical dependency and addiction to tobacco, alcohol, drugs, including prescription drugs, and other substances;
- (C) explain the relationship among tobacco, alcohol, drugs, and other substances and the role these items play in unsafe situations such as drinking and driving and Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)/sexually transmitted disease (STD) transmission;
- (D) identify ways such as alternative activities to prevent the use of tobacco, alcohol, drugs, and other substances;
- (E) identify ways to prevent substance misuse, including the misuse of prescription and over-the-counter drugs, and substance use disorders;