State law addresses physical activity.
Texas Administrative Code. 115.22. Health Education Grade 6.
(b) Knowledge and skills.
- (1) Health information. The student comprehends ways to enhance and maintain personal health throughout the life span. The student is expected to:
- (A) analyze healthy and unhealthy dietary practices;
- (B) explain the importance of a personal dietary and exercise plan;
- (C) compare immediate and long-range effects of personal health care choices such as personal and dental hygiene;
- (D) identify causes and effects associated with poor body image such as eating disorders and growth patterns;
- (E) examine the concept of cost versus effectiveness of health care products;
- (F) describe the mental, physical, and social benefits of regular exercise and fitness;
- (G) describe the importance of establishing and implementing a periodic health-maintenance clinical assessment; and
- (H) demonstrate strategies for managing stress.
Texas Education Code Sec. 28.002. REQUIRED CURRICULUM
(a)Each school district that offers kindergarten through grade 12 shall offer, as a required curriculum:
(2)an enrichment curriculum that includes:
(A)to the extent possible, languages other than English;
(B)health, with emphasis on:
(i)physical health, including the importance of proper nutrition and exercise; and
(ii)mental health, including instruction about mental health conditions, substance abuse, skills to manage emotions, establishing and maintaining positive relationships, and responsible decision-making; and
(iii)suicide prevention, including recognizing suicide-related risk factors and warning signs;