State law addresses violence prevention
Texas Administrative Code. 115.32. Health 1 Grades 9-10 (One-Half Credit).
(b) Knowledge and skills.
- (7) Health behaviors. The student analyzes the relationship between unsafe behaviors and personal health and develops strategies to promote resiliency throughout the life span. The student is expected to:
- (G) analyze and apply strategies for avoiding violence, gangs, weapons, and drugs; and
- (H) analyze strategies for preventing and responding to deliberate and accidental injuries.
Texas Education Code Sec. 28.017. INSTRUCTION ON PREVENTION OF SEXUAL ABUSE AND SEX TRAFFICKING
(a) The commissioner, in cooperation with the human trafficking prevention task force created under Section 402.035, Government Code, and any other persons the commissioner considers appropriate, shall develop one or more sexual abuse and sex trafficking instructional modules that a school district may use in the district's health curriculum. The modules may include:
(1) information on the different forms of sexual abuse and assault, sex trafficking, and risk factors for sex trafficking;
(2) the procedures for reporting sexual abuse and sex trafficking or suspected sexual abuse or sex trafficking;
(3) strategies for sexual abuse and assault prevention and overcoming peer pressure;
(4) information on establishing healthy boundaries for relationships, recognizing potentially abusive or harmful relationships, and avoiding high-risk activities;
(5) the recruiting tactics of sex traffickers and peer recruiters, including recruitment through the Internet;
(6) the legal aspects of sexual abuse and sex trafficking under state and federal law; and
(7) the influence of culture and mass media on perceptions of sexual abuse and sex trafficking, including stereotypes and myths about victims and abusers, victim blaming, and the role of language.
(b) The module or modules developed under Subsection (a) must emphasize compassion for victims of sexual abuse or sex trafficking and the creation of a positive reentry experience for survivors of sexual abuse or sex trafficking into schools.