State law, regulation, or district policy requires districts to administer school climate surveys.
Maryland Code 7-203 Education accountability program
(c) Standardized testing not the only measurement; educational accountability program. --
- (1) National standardized testing may not be the only measure for evaluating educational accountability.
- (i) An educational accountability program shall include at least three school quality indicators that measure the comparative opportunities provided to students or the level of student success in public schools.
- One of the school quality indicators under subparagraph (i) of this paragraph shall be school climate surveys.
- The school climate surveys shall include at least one question to educators regarding the receipt of critical instructional feedback.
- (iii) Other school quality indicators may include:
- Class size;
- Case load;
- Opportunities for:
- A. Advanced Placement courses and International Baccalaureate Programs;
- B. Career and Technology Education Programs; and
- C. Dual enrollment;
- Chronic absenteeism;
- Data on discipline and restorative practices; and
- Access to teachers who hold an Advanced Professional Certificate or have obtained National Board Certification.
- (iv) The school quality indicators used in subparagraph (i) of this paragraph may not be based on student testing.