State law encourages districts to provide professional development for school personnel on cultural competency.
Maryland Code 6-123 Teacher collaborative grant program
(b) Program established. --
- (1) There is a Teacher Collaborative Grant Program.
- (2) The purpose of the Program is to:
- (i) Provide funds for collaboratives to develop state-of-the-art professional education for prospective and current teachers that reflects international and national best practices; and
- (ii) Award grants to multiple collaboratives in various regions of the State that will develop model professional development programs that can be replicated in local school systems throughout the State.
- (3) The Department shall administer the Program in consultation with the Maryland Higher Education Commission. (4) A professional development program developed under the Program shall provide training and education in one or more of the following:
- (i) Culturally responsive pedagogy, content knowledge, and best practices in teaching diverse students and communicating with diverse student families, including individuals of all races, religions, sexual orientations, and gender identities;