State law requires districts to adopt Internet use policies or to provide instruction on safe Internet use.
2017 Tennessee Code Annotated 49-1-221. Policy on use of Internet -- Filing of policy -- Contents.
(a) (1) Each LEA shall adopt an internet acceptable use policy. At a minimum, the policy shall contain provisions that:
- (A) Are designed to prohibit certain inappropriate use by school district employees and students of the school district's computers via the Internet;
- (B) Seek to prevent access by students to material that the school district deems to be harmful to juveniles;
- (C) Select a technology for the school district's computers having Internet access to filter or block Internet access through the computers to child pornography and obscenity;
- (D) Establish appropriate measures to be taken against persons who violate the policy;
- (E) Include a component on Internet safety for students that is integrated in a school district's instructional program; and
- (F) Encourage communications with parents that raise awareness about Internet safety using existing avenues of communication, such as parent-teacher conferences.
- (2) The policy may include such other terms, conditions and requirements as deemed appropriate, such as requiring written parental authorization for Internet use by juveniles or differentiating acceptable uses among elementary, middle and high school students.
(b) The director of schools shall take such steps as appropriate to implement and enforce the school district's policy.
Internet Acceptable Use Policy Summary
This report describes the status of school districts’ acceptable use policies.