State law requires districts to utilize environmentally-safe chemicals and/or to reduce chemical exposure in schools.
Code of Maryland Regulations 15.05.02.03 Integrated Pest Management System.
A. County Board of Education Requirements.
- (1) Each county board of education shall:
- (a) Develop and implement for its schools an integrated pest management system approved by the Department; and
- (b) File a written integrated pest management plan with the Department for approval.
- (2) When any change is made to the integrated pest management system, the county board of education shall submit the revised integrated pest management plan to the Department for approval before the initiation of the new plan.
B. The integrated pest management system of a county board of education shall meet the following minimum requirements:
- (1) Have an integrated pest management policy;
Food Safety Tips for School Gardens
This document addresses chemicals prohibited from being used in school gardens.
Maryland Code 5-208.1. Integrated pest management systems in schools and school grounds
- (1) A county board shall develop and implement in its schools an integrated pest management system approved by the Secretary.
- (2) On or before the beginning of the 2001 school year, a county board shall develop and implement an integrated pest management system for school grounds approved by the Secretary.