State law addresses aspects of traditional school-based health services but does not formalize a program to aid in the establishment of clinics or health centers on campus for students.
17 Guam Code Annotated 9A201 Student Health Services
(a) The Guam Department of Education shall provide leadership and assistance to schools relating to student health services. The Department, working in cooperation with the Department of Public Health and Social Services, shall provide, contract for services, or identify resources to improve student health services, including, but not limited to, the following:
- (1)(A) standardized protocols and guidelines for health procedures to be performed by health care practitioners and school employees. The protocols and guidelines shall include, but not be limited, to the following:
- (i) the delegation of nursing functions consistent with administrative rules and regulations promulgated by the Guam Board of Nurse Examiners to the extent that such rules and regulations are not inconsistent with this Chapter;
- (ii) training of designated nonmedical school employees; and
- (iii) appropriate documentation and recordkeeping, including, but not limited to, notification to school administrators and parents or guardians of the provision of health services by a school employee, including certification of medical necessity for health services signed by a health care practitioner, and informed consent by a parent or guardian for the provision of health services.
- (B) A copy of the protocols and guidelines shall be made available to every Department of Education school and shall be maintained by each school in a publicly available place;
- (2) consultation, technical assistance, and development of quality improvement measures for the Superintendent and individual Guam Department of Education schools;
- (3) facilitation of data collection and reporting of school health services; and
- (4) information and resources that relate to the provision of school health services
Guam Board of Education Policy 336 Student Health Services
Board policy requires BOE to adopt a comprehensive master plan for school health services.