State law encourages or requires inter-agency coordination as part of both initial plan development and review and update procedures.
Crisis Management and Prevention Information for Georgia Public Schools
Manual to support and encourage the development and implementation of a systematic crisis management and prevention plan in schools and school districts, including guidance on forming a crisis response team.
Official Code of Georgia Annotated 20-2-1185. School safety plans;drills
(a) Every public school shall prepare a school safety plan to help curb the growing incidence of violence in schools, to respond effectively to such incidents, and to provide a safe learning environment for Georgia's children, teachers, and other school personnel. Such plan shall also address preparedness for natural disasters, hazardous materials or radiological accidents, acts of violence, and acts of terrorism. School safety plans of public schools shall be prepared with input from students enrolled in that school, parents or legal guardians of such students, teachers in that school, community leaders, other school employees and school district employees, and local law enforcement, juvenile court, fire service, public safety, and emergency management agencies. As part of such plans, public schools shall provide for the coordination with local law enforcement agencies and the local juvenile court system. School safety plans shall include, at a minimum, the following strategy areas:
- (1) Training school administrators, teachers, and support staff, including, but not limited to, school resource officers, security officers, secretaries, custodians, and bus drivers, on school violence prevention, school security, school threat assessment, mental health awareness, and school emergency planning best practices;
- (2) Evaluating and refining school security measures;
- (3) Updating and exercising school emergency preparedness plans;
- (4) Strengthening partnerships with public safety officials; and
- (5) Creating enhanced crisis communications plans and social media strategies.