State law encourages or requires inter-agency coordination as part of initial emergency plan development only.
Oregon Administrative Rules 581-024-0275 Facilities Safety and Emergency Planning
(5) In schools operated by the district that are occupied by students, the district must ensure that all students are instructed and have drills on emergency procedures in compliance with ORS 336.071. The emergency procedures shall include drills and instruction on:
- (a) Fires;
- (b) Earthquakes, which shall include tsunami drills and instruction in schools in a tsunami hazard zone; and
- (c) Safety threats including procedures related to lockdown, lockout, shelter in place and evacuation and other appropriate actions to take when there is a threat to safety.
(6) In facilities operated by the district, each district must have a written plan for responding to emergency situations. Emergency situations include but are not limited to: injury accidents, fire, chemical spill, hazardous materials, exposure to contagious disease, fire arms on the premises, and other illegal acts that threaten the health and safety of staff and students.
- (a) Emergency plans should be coordinated with appropriate police and fire services, ambulance services and area hospitals.
- (b) There should be an adequate internal communication system in district operated facilities to transmit emergency information to staff and students in a rapid and clear manner.
- (c) The emergency plan should be posted in conspicuous places throughout district operated facilities.
- (d) There should be periodic training for staff and students regarding the emergency plan. Appropriate first-aid supplies and at least one staff member with a current first-aid/CPR card shall be available at all district operated facilities.
Oregon Revised Statutes 339.312 Safe school alliance
School districts are encouraged to form a safe school alliance composed of schools, law enforcement agencies, juvenile justice agencies and district attorneys. The purpose of a safe school alliance is to provide the safest school environment possible.