State law encourages or requires inter-agency coordination as part of initial emergency plan development only.
Code of the District of Columbia 5–132.02. Establishment of the Metropolitan Police Department School Safety Division; functions of the School Safety Division.
(a) There is established within the Metropolitan Police Department a School Safety Division that shall provide security for the District of Columbia Public Schools. (b) The School Safety Division shall be headed by a Director, appointed by, and reporting to, the Chief of Police with rank equal to a Commander or above. (c) The School Safety Division shall:
- (1) Hire all school security personnel for DCPS;
- (a) Deploy school security personnel to DCPS; and
- (b) Deploy school resource officers to public charter schools;
- (3) Provide oversight over school security personnel and be responsible for administering all disciplinary actions related to school security personnel, including termination;
- (4) Execute, approve, monitor, and provide oversight over any contract for school security personnel;
- (5) Create and implement security and emergency operations plans for DCPS in concert with the Chancellor;