State law encourages districts to implement school-based alcohol and drug referral, intervention or treatment programs for students with substance use disorders.
2018 Druge Use Prevention Curriculum Resource Guide
The academic Standard in practical living skills for elementary, middle, and high school levels shall include a focus on drug abuse prevention, with an emphasis on the prescription drug epidemic and the connection between prescription opioid abuse and addiction to other drugs, such as heroin and synthetic drugs.
Kentucky Revised Statutes 156.496 Family resource and youth services centers.
(3) Youth services centers shall be located in or near each school in the Commonwealth, except elementary schools, in which twenty percent (20%) or more of the student body are eligible for free or reduced-price school meals. Youth services centers shall promote identification and coordination of existing resources and shall include but not be limited to the following core components for each site:
- (a) Referrals to health and social services;
- (b) Career exploration and development;
- (c) Summer and part-time job development for high school students;
- (d) Substance abuse education and counseling; and
- (e) Family crisis and mental health counseling.