State law requires districts to implement school-wide positive behavioral supports or tiered frameworks.
Virginia Administrative Code 8VAC20-23-130. Professional Studies Requirements for Early/Primary Education, Elementary Education, and Middle Education Endorsements
Professional studies requirements for early/primary education, elementary education, and middle education: 21 semester hours. These requirements may be taught in integrated coursework or modules.
- Classroom and behavior management: 3 semester hours.
- a. Skills in this area shall contribute to an understanding and application of research-based classroom and behavior management techniques, classroom community building, positive behavior supports, and individual interventions, including techniques that promote emotional well-being and teach and maintain behavioral conduct and skills consistent with norms, Standard, and rules of the educational environment.
- b. This area shall address diverse approaches based upon culturally responsive behavioral, cognitive, affective, social and ecological theory and practice.
- c. Approaches should support professionally appropriate practices that promote positive redirection of behavior, development of social skills, and of self-discipline.
- d. Knowledge and an understanding of various school crisis management and safety plans and the demonstrated ability to create a safe, orderly classroom environment shall be included.
- e. The link between classroom management and students' ages shall be understood and demonstrated in techniques used in the classroom.
Virginia Tiered Systems of Support
This page addresses use of positive behavioral supports with tiered interventions