State law encourages districts to provide professional development for school personnel on cultural competency.
South Carolina Code of Laws 59-28-140 Design of parental involvement and best practices training programs; incorporation into teacher and principal preparation programs.
The State Superintendent of Education shall: (1) design parental involvement and best practices training programs in conjunction with higher education institutions and the pre-K through grade 12 education community, including parental program coordinators, which shall include:
- (a) practices that are responsive to racial, ethnic, and socio-economic diversity, and are appropriate to various grade-level needs;
- (b) establishment and maintenance of parent-friendly school settings;
- (c) awareness of community resources that strengthen families and assist students to succeed; and
- (d) other topics appropriate for fostering partnerships between parent and teacher;
(2) work collaboratively with the Commission on Higher Education to incorporate parental involvement training into teacher preparation and principal preparation programs consistent with the training provided in subsection (1) of this section.