State law requires districts to provide professional development for school personnel on cultural competency.
How Do Culturally-Responsive Practices Relate to your School Improvement Plan?
Powerpoint with list of professional development suggestiosn for cultural competency training.
Indiana Code 20-28-3-3 Guidelines for teacher education
(a) The department shall develop guidelines for use by accredited teacher education institutions and departments in preparing individuals to:
- (1) teach in various environments; and
- (2) successfully apply positive classroom behavioral management strategies and research based alternatives to exclusionary discipline in a manner that serves the diverse learning needs of all students. (b) The guidelines developed under subsection (a) must include courses and methods that assist individuals in developing cultural competency (as defined in IC 20-31-2-5).
Indiana Code 20-31-2-5 Cultural competency
“Cultural competency” means a system of congruent behaviors, attitudes, and policies that enables teachers to work effectively in cross-cultural situations. The term includes the use of knowledge concerning individuals and groups to develop specific Standard, policies, practices, and attitudes to be used in appropriate cultural settings to increase students’ educational performance.
Indiana Code 20-31-6-1 Cultural compentency materials
The department shall develop and make available to school corporations and nonpublic schools materials that assist teachers, administrators, and staff in a school in developing cultural competency for use in providing professional and staff development programs.
Indiana Code 20-31-6-2 Duties of committee
(a) In developing a school’s plan, the committee shall consider methods to improve the cultural competency of the school’s teachers, administrators, staff, parents, and students. (b) The committee shall:
- (1) identify the racial, ethnic, language-minority, cultural, exceptional learning, and socioeconomic groups that are included in the school’s student population;
- (2) incorporate culturally appropriate strategies for increasing educational opportunities and educational performance for each group in the school’s plan; and
- (3) recommend areas in which additional professional development is necessary to increase cultural competency in the school’s educational environment. (c) The committee shall update annually the information identified under subsection (b)(1).